Welcome



Welcome.

You have just entered a portal to the wonderful world of lasers. The content that follows can get a little complicated. There will be some technical terms that I will have to use throughout the posts. I will definitely make the science easy to understand (if not, then get on my back and I will make things clearer). I will also try to add some kind of entertaining element to the posts to keep things interesting.

I highly encourage you to comment on my posts. Criticism is very welcome... just try to leave out the ad hominems.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

If you call in the next 10 minutes...

     Ever wonder if lasers would find their way into infomercials?  Well wonder no more!  These infomercials I found are exactly what you were looking for!


 Ok.  So I didn't find these infomercials.  I modified existing ones to advertise lasers (if that wasn't obvious to you) {sources 1, 2, 3}.  But why shouldn't there be laser infomercials out there like these ones?  I haven't run into any!

     The reason for this is because applications of laser technology are not gimmicks.  They actually work.  There is a pretty long list of laser applications in all industries.  Pertaining to health and medicine, here is a list of just a few that I know of:

Hair Removal
Stretch Mark Treatment
Scar Removal
Tattoo Removal
Teeth Whitening
Acne Treatment
Vision Enhancement Surgery
Bloodless Surgery Cutting Tools

     If you were thinking about getting any of these done, don't search infomercials to find a solution.  Be thankful that scientists and doctors are cooperating to extend the applications of lasers to cosmetic and health applications.

4 comments:

  1. Benito, I really enjoyed the clever montage of infomercials you put together! It's clear you spent a lot of time working on this post. I'd like to learn more about how lasers work to provide better results than the things used in informercial gimmicks. This blog post really grabbed my attention. Well said and nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jenny. You are very welcome to read my other posts and follow the links I include if you are interested in lasers and how they work. To be sure, there will be more to come. Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, pretty hilarious. There's a little science communication happening here, too :). Glad to see you're mixing it up. Hope to see some serious posts continue, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure thing. I just got my hands on some video editing software, so I thought I would try to apply it. Serious posts on the way!

    ReplyDelete