Welcome



Welcome.

You have just entered a portal to the wonderful world of lasers. The content that follows can get a little complicated. There will be some technical terms that I will have to use throughout the posts. I will definitely make the science easy to understand (if not, then get on my back and I will make things clearer). I will also try to add some kind of entertaining element to the posts to keep things interesting.

I highly encourage you to comment on my posts. Criticism is very welcome... just try to leave out the ad hominems.

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Bloggers Unite!

Hi everyone.

I read a post over at Nano Nook that deals with all sorts of cool topics at the nanoscale.  There is a post there that describes an atomic force microscope (AFM) that can be used to measure the surface topography and even chemical composition using an oscillating tip that is scanned across a material.  The technology uses a laser to accurately measure the oscillation phase (timing of oscillations) and amplitude (the distance of vibration) of the tip.  Take a look at Nano Nook's post for a nice diagram and more information!  Also check out his links that give even more detailed information if you are intrigued.

2 comments:

  1. Nice way to ref NN's blog, Ben. And AFMs are cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are cool. I have actually been able to use the one in the CSM Physics building, and it looks a lot like a regular light microscope (same size), but it is clearly a lot more complicated and incredibly more precise. Unfortunately, I had little success with my attempts at using it because it's a tricky machine to work with.

    ReplyDelete