Welcome



Welcome.

You have just entered a portal to the wonderful world of lasers. The content that follows can get a little complicated. There will be some technical terms that I will have to use throughout the posts. I will definitely make the science easy to understand (if not, then get on my back and I will make things clearer). I will also try to add some kind of entertaining element to the posts to keep things interesting.

I highly encourage you to comment on my posts. Criticism is very welcome... just try to leave out the ad hominems.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Don't Waste Your Money


     I got duped!  I wasted my money on useless laser pointers!  What was I thinking?  Laser pointers have no purpose!  What are the possible applications for these scamalicious products?

1) Pointing at Presentations
2) Stargazing
3) Blinding Pilots (or anyone for that matter)

     But are these applications even useful?  How about laser pointers used as a presentation tool?  According to some professional speakers and presenters, laser pointers actually detract from the message by dazzling the audience like they were cats. Sloppy presenters might even shine the laser into the eyes of the audience, combining the problems with applications 1 and 3!

     Stargazing?  Now that isn't really an application.  After all, who even goes outside to look and point at stars nowadays, let alone try to map them?  All the ones we can see with our eyes or low-end telescopes (even without city lights inhibiting this hobby) have been mapped already.  Besides, shooting a laser in the sky can land you in jail if you end up accidentally taking part in application number 3...

     Attacks on pilots with laser pointers have increased across the nation, and the act is now considered a federal crime.  Laser pointers are a tool that evil people can use to ruin the days of innocent pilots and travelers.

     So why own a laser pointer?  Why even allow companies to manufacture them?  They are only good for destroying presentations, eyes, airplanes, and your wallet. 

.........Right?

8 comments:

  1. They are fun for messing with cats, that's why we should own them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, cats.

    So, you're being sarcastic here, yes? ARE there other reasons to own them? Please tell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I know you can use laser pointers as an accurate way to measure distances and also to make sure you are hanging a picture frame straight.

    As far as using them in presentations, I am not a fan. I thought laser pointers were made with different levels of intensities, so I guess if you could find a lower level intensity laser pointer it wouldn't be as distracting or painful. The one we were using during class was definitely hurting my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. dreamhelmet,

    Yes. I apologize for the intensity of that laser pointer. I haven't managed to get my hands on the perfect-powered one. I kind of get ones that over- or under-do it.

    Jen,
    I have a new post concerning presentation pointers, but laser pointers are useful for other applications, such as:

    Pointing out stars (which is not actually useless)
    Laser sights/targeting for weapons
    Demos for optics classes (like refraction demos)
    Signaling (like for help)
    Defense against wildlife (like bears)
    Art (see blog background)
    *Laser levels (as dreamhelmet pointed out)
    *Laser light shows
    *Laser trip alarms or sensors
    *Optical transmission measurements
    *Reading CDs/DVDs

    *Not necessarily pen-shaped laser pointer devices, but they each have the same elements as a laser pointer, and there is no limitation saying that a pen-shaped pointer could not be used in them, say for DIYers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lasers like you pointed out have a lot of applications already and I for one firmly believe it is good to develop a new technology and not necessarily know what the application will be. People could eventually come up with a good application if allowed. Also they are just cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Carlos. You have a good point. Science is interesting because you can accidentally stumble upon an application. X-ray imaging started like that. There is a lot of cool physics that can happen with high intensity lasers, but nobody knew about it until they pushed a laser too hard. Nice comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just referring to a laster pointer, jeesh! :). Clearly there are other applications for lasers. Such as those my husband builds and that help put dinner on our table :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know. But there were several applications on that list that use normal laser pointers, and not another form of laser (denoted by an asterisk in the list). But the main reasons I own them is for presentations and for messing around. It's quite fun to see how the light reflects, refracts, induces phosphorescence, and whatnot.

    ReplyDelete