Welcome



Welcome.

You have just entered a portal to the wonderful world of lasers. The content that follows can get a little complicated. There will be some technical terms that I will have to use throughout the posts. I will definitely make the science easy to understand (if not, then get on my back and I will make things clearer). I will also try to add some kind of entertaining element to the posts to keep things interesting.

I highly encourage you to comment on my posts. Criticism is very welcome... just try to leave out the ad hominems.

Monday, March 21, 2011

Maybe Not Such a Waste {rev}

     I am going to have to apologize for the last post.  My sarcasm seemed to bleed out of that one, didn't it?  Well I just felt I needed to respond to a certain incident.  It went like this:

     I used a laser pointer in a presentation for a class, and the next week, an experienced presenter demonstrated how awful laser pointers are when used in presentations.  He imposed his view on the entire audience, and I am sure many of them will take his words as truth since he is an experienced, intelligent presenter.


     Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but there are so many successful people out there that use laser pointers in their presentations.  Take Nobel Prize winner Eric Cornell, for instance.  He gave a presentation at the National Institute of Standards and Technology - NIST - (Hey! I worked there last summer!) concerning Bose Einstein Condensates.  Here is a snippet from the transcript:
"Bosons, on the other hand, love to all do the same thing. For instance, in this laser pointer which I hold in my hand, there are a tremendous number of photons first bouncing back and forth inside it and then spilling out one end. They are all going exactly the same direction with the same energy."
     Wow.  Even a Nobel Prize winner uses laser pointers.  And it's not just him.  During my summer at NIST, many of the employees utilized laser pointers as presentation tools.  Laser pointers were provided to the summer interns for their research presentations.  Employees could even buy laser pointers with the NIST label right on the side (for $90 no less, and they were selling!).

     So that is why I wanted to support the use of laser pointers.  I know the use of laser pointers in presentations is a matter of preference.  Of opinion.  There are those that think it is distracting (and of course it would be if all people were cats!).  But many individuals... successful ones at that... think it helps to direct attention and aid a presenter.  I just hope people will think for themselves and make up their own mind about whether laser pointers are helpful or not, instead of taking one person's views as truth.

So I will stick by my laser pointers, even if there are those that disagree with me.

3 comments:

  1. So, just to clarify...I had no idea Professor Snieder was going to do that with the laser pointer, and definitely was not intentionally setting you up in any way. I hadn't seen him do his spiel before that night.

    Second, we don't have any laser pointers at home. Really. I don't know why, but we don't. Probably something to do with the fact that we have small children.

    Finally, I don't totally agree with Professor Snieder. I have used pointers before and seem them used and haven't been bothered by it. But it's useful to hear his perspective nonetheless.

    So, I'm sorry you felt as if you were singled out and criticized. It wasn't intentional on my part, certainly, and wasn't intended to slight laser folks in the least.

    I'm glad you're sticking by your pointer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, that witch does not look enough like me. You should have chosen one with shorter hair. And maybe some warts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not at all embarrassed about the incident, but I felt that the whole class would take his word as truth, and not think for themselves. That's why this post exists; to give another point of view. I guess I made some assumptions about your intentions, and for that I am sorry.

    I am surprised that your husband does not own a laser pointer though, even with children in the house. My dad owned guns when I was little but locked them up to keep me from getting at them. But it's definitely better not to have pointers than to have them and let your kids blind themselves.

    And jeez! Has no one watched A Christmas Story? That is a picture from the scene where Ralphie imagines his mom and teacher conspiring together and shouting, "You'll shoot your eye out! You'll shoot your eye out!" If you look at my URL and the picture, you can see my attempt at the reference.

    ReplyDelete