Welcome



Welcome.

You have just entered a portal to the wonderful world of lasers. The content that follows can get a little complicated. There will be some technical terms that I will have to use throughout the posts. I will definitely make the science easy to understand (if not, then get on my back and I will make things clearer). I will also try to add some kind of entertaining element to the posts to keep things interesting.

I highly encourage you to comment on my posts. Criticism is very welcome... just try to leave out the ad hominems.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

They're Actually Out There!

     I have to admit it.  I was wrong.  I received a comment on an earlier post, Weaponizing Lasers, concerning high powered lasers in the hands of average people.  I expressed my skepticism of that happening anytime soon due to my belief that hand held laser weapons would require a huge power supply.  Well I guess I should stop expressing my doubt about laser terrorism because it seems like those laser guns from Star Wars actually exist!  Check out this website that shows a laser gun prototype and a video of its operation.  I have included the video below.


     The "plasma ball" seen in the video is, I believe, an example of filamentation.  Filamentation occurs when the intensity of the laser is so large that the laser actually causes the air it travels through to mimic a lens.  This occurs because the laser heats up the air in a special way.  In the end, the laser self-focuses, and becomes even more intense!  Now, the laser's self-focusing also has to fight diffraction (the photons' desire to be spread apart from each other), but if the laser is strong enough, the light will cause the air to ionize, like the gas in a fluorescent lamp.  Voila!  "Plasma ball!"

     Also notice in the video that the gun was supposedly purchased.  That means there is someone out there who wants to use it for one of three purposes:

1) To use it for fun,
2) To use it for evil purposes,
3) Or to use it to accessorize a Star Wars costume.

Let's hope it's not #2.  If the laser can filament, it can blind, burn, sear, scar, sting, zap, and tingle.  Those laser issues at airports.... Well those might be just the beginning....

4 comments:

  1. Well, here's a neat laser gun application... The last video on the page at:
    http://intellectualventureslab.com/?p=653

    A bit smaller scale, but still weapon-like use of lasers.

    I haven't seen anything about laser gun terrorism or anything. Mostly just news about the military investing in laser tech and airport incidents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's freakin' cool. I didn't realize DIY lasers had gotten to this point! I guess I need to add yet another project to my list. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh oh. Mad scientist in the making!

    Yeah, it is pretty neat, but just remember that lasers don't care if they are being pointed at good guys or bad guys. I had to go through a bunch of safety training to work with lasers. Just keep that in mind if you are a DIYer.

    ReplyDelete