Welcome



Welcome.

You have just entered a portal to the wonderful world of lasers. The content that follows can get a little complicated. There will be some technical terms that I will have to use throughout the posts. I will definitely make the science easy to understand (if not, then get on my back and I will make things clearer). I will also try to add some kind of entertaining element to the posts to keep things interesting.

I highly encourage you to comment on my posts. Criticism is very welcome... just try to leave out the ad hominems.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Laser welding


     I knew there were tons of applications for lasers in industrial settings, but I was unaware that laser could be used to weld metals.  Cutting?  Sure.  Drilling?  Duh.  Scribing?  Of course!  Welding?  Wow.

     With all of the videos I've posted and stories I've told about lasers obliterating whatever they hit, I had no idea that the heat produced could be controlled to fuse two metals together.  A story at FEN describes how lasers can be used to weld "titanium, beryllium, copper, and platinum," materials that cannot be welded by traditional methods.  Not only that, but the narrow beam of the laser can create incredible welding precision.  The only downside is the cost, but the technology is reasonable for certain welding types and large scale production.

Another application to add to the list!

1 comment: