Welcome



Welcome.

You have just entered a portal to the wonderful world of lasers. The content that follows can get a little complicated. There will be some technical terms that I will have to use throughout the posts. I will definitely make the science easy to understand (if not, then get on my back and I will make things clearer). I will also try to add some kind of entertaining element to the posts to keep things interesting.

I highly encourage you to comment on my posts. Criticism is very welcome... just try to leave out the ad hominems.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Morons with Laser Pointers

Remember when I told you about those two guys that went to jail for shining a laser at an airplane (see Fun and Games)?  Well they aren't the only morons out there!  I ran a search in Google for news containing the words "laser," "shining," and "arrested" to see how many people out there are getting in trouble with their laser pens.  I checked the entire list that Google spat out for the year of 2010.  I made a cumulative plot of incidents that related to idiots shining laser pointers at police, cars, helicopters, and airplanes.  By the way, some news articles did use terms like "moron" and "idiot!"  Anyway, take a gander at the figure:


There were 64 news reports that were relevant, which means that there was an average of one news report every 6 days.  Now that doesn't seem like a lot, but I was only looking at Google news reports that had particular phrases, and not all incidents make the news.  My calculations are smaller than the actual amount by a significant factor.  I found a more accurate plot from laserpointersafety.com (after all my work... should have gone there in the first place!).  These are just reported incidents though.  Take a look:


My calculations off of the figure suggest that there are, on average, 12 incidents per day for the year of 2010!  Here are some numbers that the FAA give:
  • 2010: 2,836 (7.8 incidents each night)
  • 2009: 1,527 (4.2 incidents each night)
  • 2008: 955 (2.6 incidents each night)
  • 2007: 643 (1.8 incidents each night)
  • 2006: 420 (1.2 incidents each night)
  • 2005: 311 (0.9 incidents each night).
There are obviously some disagreements with the plot and the numbers, but it is clear that the rate of incidents is increasing, and the yearly numbers are staggering.

These plots have shown us just how many morons with laser pointers are out there.

5 comments:

  1. Thats pretty crazy. What exactly are these people doing to get themselves into trouble?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are shining their laser pointers at airplanes as they land, news and police helicopters, cars as they drive on the highway, and just at police officers. I am sure there are other offenses that are included in the reports to the FAA, but those were the most prominent ones I saw in the news articles. Just reading the descriptions of the crimes makes you wonder who would actually do something so stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow thats interesting, while I can think of much better things for them to do with their time I never knew one could get arrested for that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morons and idiots are clearly more active in the summer months, it seems. Perhaps there should be a camp for them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I noticed that too. They probably enjoy causing trouble during the summer because of the enjoyable, warm environment for them to take part in terrorist activities. Here's another possible reason: no school during the summer. Some of the news articles I read concerned juveniles that were caught using the lasers. Without school to distract them, kids find stupid things to do for entertainment.

    ReplyDelete